Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A sensible trail bike

In a previous post I commented that cyclocross bikes have certain shortcomings enforced by the UCI. I myself have enjoyed a cyclocross bike for a number of years, moving to Europe with one as my sole bike over ten years ago. As it has since seen a number of stablemates join it in my collection here, its purpose has been somewhat in question. This seems the fate of any do-it-all type bike that is gradually supplanted with others that better fill this or that niche. I already have another hybrid in use as a commute bike, so the Bianchi has become my long-ride trail bike project.



Here it is, pictured in the middle of a 42km mixed-terrain ride I did yesterday. The 38mm tires offer plenty of volume for rough trail surfaces, though as a rider you have to be more careful than you might riding fat 55mm tires. The cassette and chainring combo provides a broad gearing selection, and the funny handlebar offers plenty of hand positions with good control over the bike.

The ride was maybe 60% trails and gravel, with the remainder well-maintained asphalt, the latter primarily in a strong headwind. The bike performs well as set-up in most of these conditions. Admittedly, I sometimes wished for the comfort, predictability, and braking performance of my mountain bike, and on the ride home I maybe would have preferred my road bike, but I would never have taken either on the entire route.


Bike route 715712 - powered by Bikemap 

1 comment:

  1. Can you share which model Bianchi this is? An old steel Axis?

    ReplyDelete